Aftercare for Lips
Remember that with the proper pre-care and aftercare routine, you will have much better results.
- Expect moderate swelling. Immediately after the procedure, lips might look uneven or crooked, due to swelling. Please don’t be concerned. The swelling will go down in about 24-48 hours. After the procedure, the color might look too dark until a slight peeling occurs at about 4-5 days.
- Lips will be tender after the procedure, so use a clean straw when drinking fluids.
- Do not pick, rub, or peel off your scabs or lip skin. Doing so will result in bald spots, scars, or infection. Itching is normal as the skin is repairing itself, just don’t scratch! Pulling off skin can cause you to pull out deeper tissue and cause scarring.
- Keep the treated area clean and dry (use clean towel or tissue to blot dry lips). Avoid environments that would cause dirt or germs to come in contact with the area while healing.
- Wash Daily with a light touch to remove bacteria, build up of oils and product, and dead skin. Use a gentle soap such as Dial, Cetaphil, Neutrogena, or baby shampoo then blot dry with a clean tissue or paper towel.
- Do not expose the treated area to sun or tanning bed (3-4 weeks after procedure)
- Moisturize with a thin layer of ointment recommended by the technician. Apply with a cotton swab onto dry lips.
- Keep your hair away from your face.
- No makeup on the treated area for 10-14 days, depending on healing. You want to wait until peeling has subsided, and skin looks healed.
- Avoid sleeping on your face, and use a fresh pillowcase.
- Avoid face-down or underwater swimming in pool, sea, lakes, and hot tubs for the first 7-10 days.
- Avoid excessive rinsing and hot water on the treated area.
- It is recommended not to exercise or sweat after the procedure for 7 days.
- Avoid spicy, sour, and hot foods.
- Keep taking anti-viral medicine if recommended by a doctor.
- After healing is complete, use sunscreen or balm with SPF on the treated area to prevent fading.
Please remember that like any cosmetic procedure, this is a process. Do not expect immediate results and please be patient. It will be a few weeks before you can fully appreciate the final results.
You may experience minor swelling and redness after the procedure. You will also experience oozing and skin peeling (scabbing) during the first week. The color will look darker and the shape might be sharp.
After about a week, the color and edges will soften. While healing, the treated area will gently exfoliate, and you will lose some color (20%-50%).
Usually the exfoliation (peeling) process occurs at about 4-5 days and will be complete around 7-10 days. At that point, you may be disappointed with the contrast between the initial intense color and the new lighter color. Often, even with proper care, customers develop bald spots or lose original pigment, which makes the color look uneven. Your natural skin regeneration is not a process that a technician can control, so this will be addressed during your touch-up session.
The final result of the first treatment will be visible after 3-4 weeks when the pigment has stabilized and resurfaced in the skin. You will receive a second pigment application in 6-8 weeks. At that time shape and color will be adjusted to your liking. Micropigmentation is a process; two or three sessions may be required to achieve desired results.
Outer Healing completes in about 7-10 days for lips. Inner Healing completes in 1-2 months for lips.